Friday, August 27, 2010

Hey Hey !

Testing, testing...Is this thing on?

Yo! I want to thank you for taking time out to read my blog about running! It is definitely more to me than just weight loss and competition, it's a time that I dedicate to myself to clear my thoughts, and imagine myself being the super woman that I am. I have recently started my journey in running this past May when I was gifted a pair of Nike running shoes and Nike+ chip to sync with my iPod. Little did I know that the gift that was given to me was intangible and would be incomparable to any gift ever packaged.

This blog is for the full figured woman that feels like running is the ultimate thought of "F you, and I can't do that." This blog is for the woman or man that was told by their family doctor that they need to get it together before their kids are without them. This blog is for the guy or girl that hasn't participated in sports since high school or college. This blog is for anyone that feels like they need to expand their horizons and challenge themselves.

((That's what life is about, right?))

This blog is for Y O U. No matter what you are going through in life, no matter what battles you are fighting, the answer is simple. Invest in Y O U. Make time for yourself. Whether it be investing in your physical health, emotional health, mental health...whatever. Stop doing everything for everybody and start making yourself happy!

For the past year I have been depressed. No seriously, I hated my job, hated working towards my M.Ed degree, and hated everything around me. Not because I was a negative person...it really was because I had no outlet to dump my emotional feelings into. My typical weekends would consist of me drinking and partying to numb myself of my unhappiness.

Little did I know, running would really be my outlet.

Growing up, I always played sports, but I hated running with every inch in my body. You wanna know how I became the best free throw shooter? I made myself stay after practice everyday to perfect my shooting skills. Why? So that I would make the shots every time "suicides" came around during practice! I don't know what it was, maybe I hated the burning feeling in my heart, maybe I looked at running as a "let's get this over" type of deal. Maybe I thought it was boring...

Well. I stand before you all today as a full figured woman that LOOOOVES to run. Yes it's challenging, but seriously, it has taught me something about myself. I have discovered that I am a queen, and I deserve to foster growth in myself and challenge my level of discipline.

Throughout this blog, I will be keeping it real with you 100% and sharing to you my feelings about running and how it relates to me as a young woman. I want to share updates with you on the latest tools, resources, and events in the local area.

My goal is to encourage someone to step outside of their norm and challenge themselves.Even if you start walking around your community or run a 1/2 mile once a week...whatever it is...I am encouraging you to do something different and invest in Y O U.

Keep in mind that I only started in May. Together, we will be growing and challenging ourselves. Any suggestions, tools, thoughts that you have, I encourage you to share!!

Here goes nothin' .....

3 comments:

  1. Let me be the 1st to Congratulate you! You are an amazing person and I wish you the best on your new Journey! Love you! Can't wait for Tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey chica! It's Paola, from LTA. Glad you joined the running club. I started my last year at UW-Madison. I pretty much started for the same reasons as you did.

    Now, for some unsolicited advice: If you want to try, you should think about looking up on Google some half marathon options within the area, and train for it. I know it sounds like a bit of a stretch, but I tried it, and it motivated me to run even more. Not because I was excited to run 13.1 miles in a row (I was petrified). But it was because if you find a training schedule, all you have to do is get your calendar organized, and just look at your schedule, and do the run that it says you have to do for the day. That simple. It took the thinking out of it, and I knew I had to do what was in the training schedule in order to not kill myself during the half marathon.

    Also, another great tool I like to use is mapmyrun.com. You look up your city, decide what your route is going to be, and it tells you how many miles it is. It helps when training for the 1/2 marathon.

    Good luck! Happy to hear you are happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Success stops when you do :)

    ReplyDelete